On Friday 08 Oct 2010, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> > We are able to provide facility within the university and hopefully
> > some  budding students!
>
> Previous DLUG ones took place at the Uni, I think.

As I am one of the few members still active from those times, I can confirm
that we used one of the Wallisdown computer labs when we did our Install days.
As I recall, it was on the third floor (but my memory isn't what it was :-) ).

In those days, installing Linux could be really hard, as opposed to being
reputedly hard.  We used to get lots of people coming.  Then distro installers
got better, driver support got better and Linux installations became easier
than Windows, so the demand fell off.  That's why we stopped.

As for an install workshop; what is done would depend of the goal.  The
Install days were about getting newbies up and running, so many of them would
bring their machines to the Uni and we would install their choice of Linux for
them (we did bias this by limiting the number of distro CDs we had available,
to avoid too much egg on face).

An install workshop is a bit different in some respects.  If I've understood
Bryn's project correctly he wants a core of people to be able to learn how to
install Linux on a variety of platforms (eg desktop, laptop, various
manufacturers, etc) so that his 'community resource' will be able to continue
the good work.  (Is that right Bryn?)

If this is the case, then the workshop would need to cover two aspects; a
(very short) segment that covered the actual act of installation, and a much
longer troubleshooting segment that covered the corner cases where the
installation failed for some reason.  The troubleshooting segment would need
to include how to find out the answers to problems, (which would include
asking this list of course).

> > I am just wondering if we should/could pool efforts on this one.
>
> I'd have thought so.  No point holding two.

I think it's a good idea and I'm happy to help if needed.

                64 bit computing with Kubuntu Linux

--
Next meeting:  Crown Hotel, Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-11-02 20:00