On 11 October 2010 at 14:18 Ralph Corderoy <ra...@inputplus.co.uk> wrote:

> > We need to do some work with our SparcStation again, but this time
> > remotely from a windows machine.  I can telnet to it and carry out the
> > usual shell type activities, but one or two things we need to do with
> > it, launch a dialog box under X.
> >
> > I was then told to try cygwin, which (eventually) gave me a graphical
> > environment, but so far has defied my attempts to connect.
OK.  I've fixed that.  I've found my way to the right documentation and I hadn't
got inetutils installed.

> If you had an X server running on your Windows PC then you could set
> your DISPLAY environment variable to an "appropriate value" at the shell
> prompt on the SparcStation before you run your program.  That would tell
> all X clients that the X server to connect to is on the Windows PC.
I have cygwin's X server running and I know it is working because I have loaded
and run a window manager.

> http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/ is one Windows X server, and
> I tend to use xclock(1) as a simple test X client.  You may want to make
> sure it will display OK when sitting at the SparcStation's screen before
> using it to test connecting to a remote X server.
X is running on the SparcStation and is used for a number of things, including
the dialog boxes used for our scripts.

> You've still got to sort out stuff like the X server allowing
> connections from the SparcStation, and the value of DISPLAY.  It's
> normally "hostname:0" but that assumes the Windows PC's IP address is
> resolvable as "hostname" on the SparcStation.  You could put its IP
> address in instead.  And the ":0" may need to be something else,
> depending on what port Xming listens.
This is the bit I need to get sorted.  The cygwin docs say:

<Start snippet>

On yourWindows machine:
1. Make sure you have the inetutils package installed.
2. Launch Cygwin/X
3. In an X terminal type /usr/bin/xhost remote_hostname_or_ip_address
4. In an X terminal type /usr/bin/telnet remote_hostname_or_ip_address. Use the
explicit path
to ensure that Cygwin’s telnet is run instead of Microsoft’s telnet; Microsoft’s
telnet will crash on
startup when run from Cygwin/X.
5. Login to your remote machine via your telnet session
6. In your telnet session type, DISPLAY=windows_hostname_or_ip_address:0.0
7. In your telnet session type, export DISPLAY
8. You can now launch remote X clients in your telnet session, for example,
xterm& will launch an
xterm running on your remote host that will display on your Cygwin/X screen.
9. Launch other remote clients in the same manner; I recommend starting the
remote clients in the
background, by appending & to the command name, so that you don’t have to open
several telnet
sessions.

<End snippet>

I'm OK until I get to step 6, when I get a 'Command not recognised' error.  Is
sending that command via the telnet session causing the problem or am I missing
something else?

> Alternatives include having the SparcStation export its screen over
> something like VNC, but I don't know if it can do that easily out of the
> box.

Ralph, if you don't know how to do that, then I don't stand chance :-)
Terry
--
Next meeting:  Crown Hotel, Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-11-02 20:00