On 25/10/10 14:32, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

Hi,

John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:
I should know better than to try and start a discussion at the weekend
since everyone only posts from work ;)

I think there's some on the list that work freelance, e.g. on embedded
software, rather than as a nine-to-five contractors for a few months at
a time.  How do you tend to get new work?  Is it all word of mouth and
you're approached once you've built up a reputation and contacts over
time?  Or is a significant part of your working month spent seeking out
new work and making new contacts?

In addition, if (a) is actively seeking new work, what proportion of your time is spent:

(b) in some kind of training ( reading docs, attending technical events, personal projects to learn new skills, hackathons, training courses .. )

(c) on more general "career development", which I'd say is the grey area between training and job hunting, for example, reading industry news, attending conferences and shows, networking and renewing old contacts...

If anyone works a significant amount of time on a open source project in an unpaid capacity, in addition to paid freelance work, I'd be interested to know about that too. Do you see it as training and/or career development? Or simply recreation?

--
Next meeting:  Crown Hotel, Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-11-02 20:00