On 18/11/10 15:05, Peter & Jill Harris wrote:

Thanks for responses.  I'm sure it was rm -rf ~/ .shotwell/Examples.  I
restored /etc, /home and /usr/local in that order using Simple Backup,
the backups were on a separate hard disk.  Thanks for offer to assist if
I lived in the Poole area John but I live in Swanage.  If all else fails
I have copies of most of my folders on a separate hard disc but they are
not up to date and I would lose all the cataloguing from about 500
photos.

Peter, try Knoppix CD, it has Testdisk on it

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Which can recover lost files, but the more you write to the disk, the less chance of recovering the files.

ls ~/ will list your home directory, and as long as you are not root, shouldn't have touch /etc etc.

You often see

alias rm='rm -i'

in .bash_profile for a good reason, especially under root.

John.