Hi,

We're still playing with Tiny Core Linux and are now exploring more ways of
adding our own data to the running system from the original CD.  You might
recall that I was asking some time ago how to write data to the ISO image and
rewrite it from a DOS Box.  We have found a way to do this, but it has it's own
problems because the permissions supported by a Windows machine are less than
those in Linux.  This makes it difficult to write files into the compressed data
that eventually gets written to initrd during boot up.

Plan B was always to write the files to the ISO but outside the initrd data and
then copy them to the running system after boot up.  The problem with this is
that we need to be able to identify which drive the CD is sitting in.  For the
most part this is hdc with Tiny Core systems, but it can be different depending
on the type of drive electronics and the number of drives on the system.

Is there a way to easily identify the drive that contains the CD once the system
has booted?  We use a system where everything in the live part of the disc is
written to initrd, so the drive is unmounted once booting is complete.  However,
we still need to know where to look.

Next meeting:  Crown Hotel, Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2011-01-11 20:00