On Wednesday, February 23, 2011 11:11:59 pm jr wrote:
> On 23 February 2011 23:03, Tim <xendis...@gmx.com> wrote:
> > Any thoughts?
>
> I'd look into setting up a DMZ box (if you've a spare machine),
> separating the internal network from the Virgin/BT/whatever supplied
> h/ware.  extreme, admittedly, but what price peace of mind?
Hi Tim,
I have precisely this kind of setup simply by having two network interfaces on
my main system which runs iptables and is connected vis the internal lan cable
and hub to a wireless repeater on which connect to my wifi gadgets like ps3,
nokia phone & bravia tv.
What I really like is the level of control I have from configuring iptables
right down to monitoring with wireshark and dhcp contro of clients.
Perish the thought of a cable wifi router.
incidentally, as Dan sys 8.8.8.8 is google dns.
Whya are you not using Virgins own dns - which can be set via dhcp?
Regards
Andy

--
Next meeting:  Blandford Forum, Wednesday 2011-03-02 20:00