I recently bought off ebay a Belkin Wireless USB stick, as I had
borrowed one and tried it and it worked beautifully.

This one is a F5D7050 v4003 which has the same chipset (ZD1211) as my
ZyXEL wireless USB stick. However when I plug in the Belkin, DMESG gets
stuffed with the message
  “unable to enumerate USB device in port 3.”  Which a bit of research
seems to indicate is due to only supporting USB 1.

I tried it under XP and it works fine. I even get the message that this
device would work faster if plugged into a USB 2 port. I begin to wonder
if this is a wobbly in XP that it cannot determine which port is USB 1,
it's own or the remote?

A search on the Internet brought me to:
http://www.absolutelytech.com/2010/04/18/solved-unable-to-enumerate-usb-device-disabling-ehci_hcd/

Where the 'cure' is to do the following before inserting the device.

cd /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd
ls
sudo sh -c 'echo -n "0000:00:xx.x" > unbind'
Now plug in the device and it works.

1. The question is - Does Kubuntu 10.10 not support USB 1 devices, or is
the selection of version of USB faulty?

2. Belkin support tells me that this is a USB 2 device. Do you think
that it is possible that they have a fault with the implementation of
USB on this device (and this device only)?

3. How can I test which version of USB is implemented on a device, aside
from the above(!)  [ somewhere I have the spec downloaded for USB 1, but
God knows where - that was years ago]

Peter M.

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth, Tuesday 2011-04-05 20:00