On 26/06/11 17:40, Tim wrote:
I have a single disk nas which I back up to a external hard disk using rsync, the total amount of data I backup from the nas is about 235gb. At the moment I use rsync to copy it from the nas to the external hard disk, but I am thinking about using the -z option to add compression but have a couple of questions

1) what would happen if I just add the -z option to my existing command?

From the man page:
-z, --compress              compress file data during the transfer

The resulting files would be the same, the compression is only for the data transfer, which makes more sense when you are using rsync over the internet, perhaps via SSH.

--

Andrew.

--
Next meeting:  TBD, ???day 2011-07-?? 20:00