Hi Dan,

> I'm a Java and Python developer by trade, currently as a freelancer,
> and have been using Linux for a few years now. I'd still consider
> myself reasonably newbie though.

We've quite a few developers on the list, Java and Python among them.

> Day to day I use Ubuntu on my desktop machines and Debian on the
> servers, but I'm trying my hand at Arch at the moment in an effort to
> learn a little more.

And I know there's a few Archers too;  they're very vocal about it.  :-)

> Hopefully I'll be able to come to a meeting sometime soon and meet
> people.

Our pub meets tend to be in Bournemouth these days We did use to have
Dorchester and Blandford Forum ones but numbers dropped away with people
moving, etc.

    Bournemouth         Tuesday 2011-09-06 20:00        The Broadway
    http://dorset.lug.org.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=meetings:pub

Are you aware of Dorset Digital?

    We're an informal community of web and software professionals.
    http://www.dorsetdigital.co.uk/

As it happens, their next pub meeting is in Dorchester on 15th
September, I think at Tom Browns.  They tend to finalise nearer the time
on the list.

http://groups.google.com/group/dotdorset/browse_thread/thread/87c9226087acdf2d

Cheers, Ralph.

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth, Tuesday 2011-09-06 20:00