I haven't used a GUI to do this, but I have done it for a lot of DVDs*. Whatever method you use you will need to install libdvdcss2 on your machine, so it can decrypt the DVD. In Ubuntu, which is what I tend to use, this isn't simply a package. Installation instructions are here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs
It appears there are only two steps required to install it.

What I would do is:

Install 'libdvdcss2'.
Install 'vobcopy'.
Open a terminal and type:
cd /path/to/USB/stick/
vobcopy -m

This will create an unencrypted copy of the DVD in whichever directory you changed to. This does no transcoding or anything, it simply creates a VIDEO_TS structure. It will be the same size as the original, and dual layer DVDs can I believe be up to around 8.7 GB. I don't know of any GUI way to do it, but I don't think those commands are too difficult. :) 'vobcopy -m' will create a directory named the same as the name of the DVD, which sounds great except that a lot of DVDs aren't named very well at all. “DVDVolume” is quite common. I've even got a couple of TV series' where three of the four discs are named with a common format, and one isn't.

* I have also travelled outside of the UK to places where copying a DVD for personal use is not illegal.

--

Andrew.

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth, Tuesday 2011-12-06 20:00