Don't use the 295.40 version of the official nvidia drivers as they
can cause serious graphical corruption and crashes due to a bug,
especially on older cards ( reference:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTA4ODc ). I'm
running on the beta drivers and those seem to work fine through on my
dual 1080p monitors at work.

On 24 September 2012 11:01, Sean Gibbins <s...@funkygibbins.me.uk> wrote:
> On 24/09/12 10:42, gladelands wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Has anybody had experience of using nvidia graphics cards with widescreen
>> (1920 x 1024) monitors under Linux?
>>
>> I have downloaded nvidias own driver file but it has to run with X window
>> turned off.
>>
>> Before I try this is there anything that anybody knows that I should NOT
>> do whilst trying this?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> George
>>
>> PS this is a rescued windows machine that I got REALLY cheap
>>

> Hi George,
>
> A few of questions:
>
> 1. What distro are you using?
> 2. What card have you got?
> 3. What monitor(s) are we talking about?
>
> With regard to (1), if you are using any of the Ubuntu variants installing
> nVidia drivers is a fairly trivial thing to do, as indeed is the
> configuration of most graphics cards and monitors.
>
> With regard to (2), if the machine was that cheap you might find the
> graphics card/chip lacks the necessary oomph in terms of GPU and memory to
> make this a viable proposition.
>
> As for things to avoid, I think the days are gone when you could drive a
> monitor too hard and damage it, unless of course you are using old CRTs, in
> which case you might want to wait for a bit more input from someone who
> knows what they are talking about before you proceed.
>
> Sean
>
> --
> music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:
>
> www.funkygibbins.me.uk
>

> --
> Next meeting:  2012-10-?? 20:00

Andrew Montgomery-Hurrell