Hi John,

> Tim Allen wrote:
> > I can open a remote Iceweasel session, served up locally, in the
> > normal way:
> >
> > localmachine$ ssh -X remotemachine iceweasel
> >
> > However, if I already have a local iceweasel session running, the
> > above command just opens another local iceweasel session. What am I
> > missing here?
>
> Curious isn't it? Thunderbird is the same, and Firefox too IIRC. It
> must detect the other session via the X server somehow.

Yes, it looks through the X window hierarchy for its `Mozilla'
properties and finds the window that best matches, e.g. Firefox, same
user, same profile.

    $ xlsatoms | gi mozilla
    440     _MOZILLA_VERSION
    441     _MOZILLA_LOCK
    442     _MOZILLA_COMMAND
    443     _MOZILLA_RESPONSE
    444     _MOZILLA_USER
    445     _MOZILLA_PROFILE
    446     _MOZILLA_PROGRAM
    447     _MOZILLA_COMMANDLINE
    $

    $ xprop -id 0x1c000ff | g _MOZILLA
    _MOZILLA_PROFILE(STRING) = "default"
    _MOZILLA_PROGRAM(STRING) = "firefox"
    _MOZILLA_USER(STRING) = "ralph"
    _MOZILLA_VERSION(STRING) = "5.1"
    $

To tell the Firefox you've started not to do that use -no-remote AIUI.
However, don't let it try and use the same profile as another running
Firefox and profiles aren't designed to cope.  Instead, give it another
profile name with -P.  -ProfileManager lets you create a new one.

Cheers, Ralph.