On 22/06/13 00:06, c...@pampru.org wrote:
I pointed out that the drives were RAID 1, mirrored, so no stripes or anything like that, and they still said 'NO, send it to us'.
Give us all your data!!!

RAID disks/partitions have a header, which in Linux RAID I believe includes the UUID of the disk and the UUID of every other disk in the RAID, ie. each disk contains the entire configuration of the array.

I wouldn't be surprised if their NAS box runs Linux and uses Linux RAID, as that would be cheaper than implementing their own, but it might not.

Anyway, unless they are trying to make life hard for everyone by storing the data in a non-linear manner you could simply ignore the RAID header. The 'mount' command can be passed an offset, so you can find the real start of the filesystem on the drive (and there's probably many ways to do that) and pass that offset to mount.

--

Andrew.