On 12/08/2013 14:04, JD wrote:
My problem is that I would like to use hostnames and not IP addresses when linking between 3 Linux computers that are just connected via my router.

The router has the correct hostname for each computer but I get a refusal if I try, say, jd@jd-Dimension-5000, whereas jd@192.168.1.5 works. In principle, the IP addresses change so I'd rather use hostnames. I admit that the IP addresses don't change very often, but I turn the router off whenever I go away so the addresses get reassigned and that is a pain.

Does "hostnale.local" work? Eg. "jd-Dimension-5000.local"?

--

Andrew.