Well, you could have knocked me down with a feather.....
I've lost Digest Vol 521 Issue 1, so I can't find who suggested swapping PLA2 and PLA3. With no expectation of success, I did, and the laptop then connected with the wider Internet and the DTa/DTb part of the network. What's more, when I reverted to the original configuration, the laptop continued to connect! In the spirit of scientific enquiry, I then switched the laptop off for 5 minutes. On restarting, the connection did NOT come up again, so I suppose if I want to maintain a cable connection with OpenMandriva, I'll have to buy a faster HomePlug. On the good side, I've found the driver for the wireless card which is now working, and since Management's opinion is "the fewer cables the better", I'm not in any hurry (just looked at the Solwise site - they're less than £23 each now) Ralph: You asked the Admin question: What's changed? From what I can see, there's a newer version of the tg3 driver in OpenMandriva (or at least a newer date) so I suppose that's it. Anyway, it's been a diverting couple of days.
Case closed?
Regards to all
Graeme