On 25 September 2014 12:28, Ralph Corderoy <ra...@inputplus.co.uk> wrote:

> Is there compositing being used, perhaps just for the popups?  When did
> this start going wrong?

To be honest I don't know whether compositing is being used I'd imagine
not, as this is running a fairly low level environment.
It just started today - this time; I have not noticed it for quite a while
but I do recollect having had the same thing happen way back over many
years on different systems.

> > The screen artefacts persist over Ctrl-Alt-F1/7, and over going into
> > Display and Desktop settings and changing background and resolution
> > and rotation.
>
> Have you tried a "switch user" so you get a new X server running a login
> manager, then log in as yourself so it switches back to the other one.

The new X server may initialise the graphics sufficiently to fix things.

Did not try that; I did try hibernating and waking to see if it was a non
persistent memory effect but that did not help. A colleague suggested
closing all applications, and I was reluctant to do that (did not want toi
lose my shell and emacs sessions :) and did not think it would help; but I
did close down Chrome and the other GUI aplications (Calibre, PDF reader,
OpenOffice); was left with a desktop that still looked like something from
an art exhibition, and then after thirty seconds' whirring the white/grey
blocks disapperared one by one and my desktop was restored!

So apparently one of the apps (I suspect Chrome) was using the desktop
management library incorrectly (or it was buggy) and having an effect
outside its own scope - but recoverably.

My uptime remains :)

cheers

victor