Work-around: Use OpenStreetMap data. You can download pre-made files for Garmin GPSes from here:

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

You can either download an entire country, which is easy and you don't have to wait for it to be generated, or you can select the tiles you want from the map on that page and wait for the file to be created for you.

If you can swap memory cards, connect to a computer while on your trip, or if your Garmin GPS allows multiple gmapsupp.img files on it then downloading the five(?) countries you need could be easiest.

You want "osm_generic_gmapsupp.zip", and to extract the file to "/Garmin/gmapsupp.img" on an SD card or to the internal memory on the device, assuming it has a USB cable and acts as a mass storage device.

There's more information here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

If you want a small country to test it on, Andorra is only 11MB uncompressed. France is 1.1GB compressed. You're probably limited to 4GB per (uncompressed) file due to FAT32.

--

Andrew.