On 11/01/16 12:35, Simon P Smith wrote:
On 11/01/16 12:19, Terry Coles wrote:
We have a physical solution and the code is fairly trivial, but my main concern
is the fact that once
implemented, the Pi would have to run unattended for most of the time and also
withstand having the
power removed without a formal shutdown every evening (or if there is a power
cut).  Clearly, this would
put the integrity of the data on the SD Card at risk.

Can anyone see any problems with this approach or suggest a better way?

Terry, to be honest the description of the requirement suggests the Pi
is overkill (IMHO), in my "intelligent"
pump controller project I completed when my house was being assailed by
flood wher I started with this
approach but ended up with a v.cheap arduino board.  The code being in
on-board flash.

Opps that takes me off-topic for a Linux group :-)

Best regards,

Simon

--
I have a Stamp processor that could do it too, But Terry & Clive involved here
know linux, and probably don't want to learn another language, and also want it

I have always understood that the way to power down the R-Pi is to unplug it, and I have never heard about problems with the memory cards. I suggest to always have a backup card available in case of failure in any case.

For headless operation it is advisable to use a fixed IP address in case you want to ssh into it, but on the basis of information given, it sounds like it is standalone and not networked.

Cheers,

Peter