Hi,

The project to create 'day' and 'night' at the Wimborne Model Town Railway is
progressing very nicely, with only one or two snags to be ironed out.

One snag is that the LED Strips flicker a little.  It's not a major issue,
except that any flickering isn't allowed in a public place (epilepsy), so I
need to sort it out.  So far, I've been using the RPi.GPIO library to create
PWM under Raspbian and then copying the compiled (.pyc) file to the deployed
image running PiCore.  Unfortunately, RPi.GPIO doesn't support the Broadcom
hardware PWM pin yet.

So today, I've successfully used wiringpi2, running under Raspbian, to create
PWM in hardware which seems to be flicker-free (see
http://raspi.tv/2013/how-to-use-wiringpi2-for-python-with-pull-ups-or-pull-downs-and-pwm
 ).  However,
the PiCore extension for wiringpi is still the original and doesn't actually
work with modern Pi hardware.  I then looked into building wiringpi2 from
source (see
https://projects.drogon.net/raspberry-pi/wiringpi/download-and-install/  (Plan
B)).

In PiCore, I believe that I have installed all of the make / gcc PiCore
extensions that are available, but I get the following result:.

(I do intend to ask the PiCore crowd this question too.)

tc@box:~/wiringPi-78b5c32$ ./build
wiringPi Build script
=====================

WiringPi Library
[UnInstall]
[Compile] wiringPi.c
[Compile] wiringSerial.c
[Compile] wiringShift.c
[Compile] piHiPri.c
[Compile] piThread.c
gcc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory
gcc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory
gcc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory
gcc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory
gcc: error trying to exec 'as': execvp: No such file or directory
In file included from /tmp/tcloop/gcc/usr/lib/gcc/armv7l-unknown-linux-
gnueabihf/5.3.0/include/stdint.h:9:0,
                 from wiringShift.c:25:
/usr/lib/gcc/armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf/5.3.0/include/stdint.h:9:26: fatal
error: stdint.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Makefile:95: recipe for target 'wiringShift.o' failed
make: *** [wiringShift.o] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
wiringSerial.c:23:19: fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Makefile:95: recipe for target 'wiringSerial.o' failed
make: *** [wiringSerial.o] Error 2
piThread.c:26:21: fatal error: pthread.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
wiringPi.c:55:19: fatal error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Makefile:95: recipe for target 'piThread.o' failed
make: *** [piThread.o] Error 2
Makefile:95: recipe for target 'wiringPi.o' failed
make: *** [wiringPi.o] Error 2
piHiPri.c:27:19: fatal error: sched.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Makefile:95: recipe for target 'piHiPri.o' failed
make: *** [piHiPri.o] Error 2