On 04/01/17 16:26, Terry Coles wrote:
Also, I think `journalctl -f' might be interesting to watch as you do
things.  You can tap Enter to give you a bit of blank space now and
again so you can see what's new.  You can try doing this over an SSH
connection to the Pi for when you run `startx', but given networking is
also over the Pi's USB port I'd really recommend you use the Pi's serial
port and set the Linux console to use that.  Cables are available.

     http://elinux.org/RPi_Serial_Connection
     http://amzn.to/2iAd006
I tried SSH.  As predicted the Pi is inaccessible.  I could pay for a third of
a Pi 3 for the cost of one of those leads:-)

If you have more than one Raspberry Pi then you can connect their serial UARTs together with three wires. Gnd to Gnd, RX to TX, TX to RX.

--

Andrew.