Hi Tim,

Totally ignoring your want to use Debian... :)

I've not got any Linux kiosks running in the wild yet, but I keep meaning to make one to replace a Windows machine...

I found Porteus Kiosk a while ago and have been meaning to try it:
http://porteus-kiosk.org/

So when I read your message I decided to download and install Porteus Kiosk to give it a go. It does seem fairly simple. There's quite a few options, but it seems easy to set it up to only allow access to one web site so I think it'll do what you want.

The installer creates a text configuration file. You might want to get a separate USB stick ready to store the configuration file on, so you can edit/re-install with it at a later date.

You can install it to a hard disk, possibly to a USB stick although I haven't tried that. If you want the kiosk browser machine to be running for a long time (eg. on all day for many years) then you might want to use an SSD rather than a hard disk, just because hard disks have a tendency to suffer mechanical failure. I suspect Porteus doesn't write to the disk at all after it's booted, but I haven't actually checked that yet.

--

Andrew.