Hi Terry,

> > https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/debug.html has some other
> > things to try.
>
> That last link has a lot of useful information (and even more in the
> links within that page).

It's probably just an online copy of the contents of the ntp-doc
package, and getting that will mean you'll have documentation that
matches your version.
https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/all/ntp-doc/filelist

Another way to debug is to catch network packets on either or both
machines with something like

    sudo tcpdump -w sump.pck port ntp

and then analyse them in Wireshark later.

> If that proves to be the case, we'll have to delay for a while before
> we do anything or put an RTC on the client Pi and only use NTP to sync
> the two clocks.

One used to use ntpdate(1) for a one-shot, set this machine's clock from
an NTP source now, command.  Its man page suggests `ntpd -q' it the
modern method, having ntpd quit once its work is done.  You might want
to have the client do that soon after boot.

> That's pretty much what we've been doing.

You may be interested to know about screen(1)'s `hardcopy' and `log'
commands.

Cheers, Ralph.