On 29/01/18 14:51, Charles B. Upton wrote:
Running AmDram in the village and the pantomime imminent, and we have run out of channels using a mechanical stage lighting controller (DMX) I decided some time back to install QLC+ which is open source highly recommended lighting desk. I installed it with the appropriate drive (DMX4Linux) on a an oldish tablet +Ubuntu, quite succesfully and tried it out on two lights. I then parked it whilst  doing other things. I opened it up last w/e and all the USB ports have died on the tablet - so back to square 1. I have tried installing (QLC+ is fine - it is the USB-DMX driver is the problem). I have tried installing it on Linux Mint 17 both 32 bit and 64 bit and can't get anywhere. The latest version is dated 2008 but it seems the problem is linking with the kernel. Has anyone else had experience with this or knows of a more amenable driver. The hardware interface is EnTTEC 'OPENDMX USB'.

Hi,

I've got the same device and I've used it with QLC+ in Ubuntu. I made it work by simply plugging it in and using it... I don't believe DMX4Linux was involved at all. It appears in QLC+ Inputs/Outputs as:
DMX USB 1: FT232R USB UART (S/N: AB1234AB)

In lsusb it appears as:
Bus 003 Device 008: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

Looking inside the box, it really only contains two chips, FT232RL (USB UART) and 75176B (balanced line driver). Regardless what the price might suggest, to the computer it's just a USB serial port. QLC+ has drivers to talk to it directly.

I believe the more complex and expensive DMX interfaces also have at least 512 bytes of RAM, so they can keep sending out the 'regular' (start code 0) lighting data without the computer having to send it via USB many times per second. This of course increases the price considerably.

QLC+ has an option (on the Inputs/Outputs screen) for supporting USB hotplugging. This appears to be turned off by default. When QLC+ is started with that option enabled, you'll see the device appear in the list as it's plugged in.

--

Andrew.