I'd agree with Ralph: seems like a coincidence.

Hamish
On 31 Jul 2018, at 15:19, Ralph Corderoy
<ra...@inputplus.co.uk<mailto:ra...@inputplus.co.uk>> wrote:

Hi Terry,

 Initially, I connected the new WiFi Antenna to my laptop and got a
 weak but usable signal.
 About an hour after those tests, I plugged the new passive WiFi
 Antenna into the Pi

 This is the one single antenna, and it was moved?

 This is the new external antenna on a pole outside the room where the
 Pi is.  It is not the 'Outdoor WiFi AP' in the diagram.

No, I know it's not the customer-facing outdoor WAP.  I was checking
that `the new WiFi Antenna' and `the new *passive* WiFi Antenna' were
the single item.

 Does it have a fixed MAC address, shown with `ip l' wherever it's
 plugged in?  If so, did the Pi get a DHCP lease for the same IP
 address that had earlier been given to your laptop when it had that
 MAC address?

 I didn't look at the IP address provided to the laptop or the Pi at
 the time, but presumably, since the Adaptor's MAC Address remains the
 same, the Router would dish out the same number?

I'd guess so.

 Apparently the connection does drop out from time to time (allegedly
 when customers stand between the Extender and the Router).

`Man blocks wifi signal'.  You're probably not the cause of their
problem.  :-)

 However, the Cafe Manager says they lost it for about an hour.  In
 fact, I've just spoken to the WMT Manager again and he thinks that the
 problem didn't start until after I had shut down the Pi, so it looks
 even more unlikely to be caused by me.

Next time you're in, announce you're going to be fiddling with it,
but then don't, and see if there's still outages?