Hi Hamish,

> I use a plugin called ImportExportTools to help with this, which is
> perhaps a better option than copying the files manually. If you export
> in EML format, you should be able to re-import.

That's two translations, and two chances of corrupting the emails.  Even
for mbox format there are four main variations with minor deviations.
It would seem safer to not need to alter the file contents at all.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_and_exporting_your_mail#Mbox_files

If Thunderbird is already happy with the contents of its own mbox files
then give them back to it.  I did see `the application automatically
discovers new mbox files and makes them into folders' on that page I
suggested to Tim.  He could avoid the Import→Tools, perhaps.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_and_exporting_your_mail#Manually_importing_and_exporting

Cheers, Ralph.