On Saturday, 27 October 2018 13:03:24 BST Tim wrote:
> Many moons ago somebody on this group (Terry??) was discussing moving
> their parents to a Linux based PC and supporting them by remote access,

Not quite.  My Mother had been persuaded by my sister to buy a Windows PC
after using an early Asus Netbook for a year or two.  She had very few
problems with Xandros, but her queries increased by an order of magnitude when
she started running XP.

In the end having considered various options, I ended up doing nothing because
she got her head round most things and my sister got my nephew (who works in
IT) to sort out most of her problems.

> I remember it being a long discussion of the pro's and cons. Is that
> thread available anywhere in an archive and if so is it available to
> pubic viewing. Reason I ask is that a forum I am on somebody has
> suggested the same and seems to think it will just work so I though I
> might be able to let them review a previous discussion on the same subject?

You could try searching the archive:

https://mailman.lug.org.uk/mailman/private/dorset/

But I couldn't see how to do that other than by downloading the raw archive,
which is apparently about 67 MB.  Ralph may be able to help.

Towards the end, before I decided it wasn't needed, I was leaning towards
Skype.  She is a long-standing Skype User and the Linux client (at that time)
supported desktop sharing.  I never actually tried it though.

Linux to Linux would undoubtedly be a lot easier.  On KDE there is krfb.

  Next meeting at *new* venue:  Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2018-11-06 20:00
  Check if you're replying to the list or the author