Hi Tim,

> SDB unpartitioned
> I decided to move the swap file from sda to a new swap partition I
> made on sdb which was set up as sdb1 (made the swap file with gparted,
> 10gb same size as the one on sda) .
> I can see the swap file is on and being used (below a couple of
> minutes after a reboot hence the low usage) and as I use the PC during
> the day I see the amount of swap usage increase.

`swapon -s' will confirm the amount used from each partition, ensuring
it's using sdb1 as you expect, unlike free(1)'s output.

> I have had a look in my log but to be honest I am not sure what log to
> look at

I'd expect either `swap' or `sdb' to be mentioned near any problems.

Have you checked sdb's quality?

    sudo -i dd if=/dev/sdb bs=128k of=/dev/null

Cheers, Ralph.

--
  Next meeting at *new* venue:  Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2018-12-04 20:00
  Check if you're replying to the list or the author