I suspect the router would need to decrypt the wireless key if it were encrypted, so the configuration would have to have all the details required to decrypt it. I'm not sure I'd worry too much about people getting access to my WLAN key if they already have root access to the router.

I doubt any non-OpenWRT routers are better. BT routers for example have the wireless key stored in plain text on a sticker on the router. Then there's those routers where the default SSID and key are based on the MAC address... which it broadcasts!

--

Andrew.

--
 Next meeting: BEC, Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2019-03-05 20:00