On Wednesday, 13 March 2019 17:15:20 GMT Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> It's hard to say because the systemd units configured will be specific
> to Debian, or even Raspbian, and I think the names of the serial ports,
> e.g. ttyAMA0, have changed between models because they nicked the SoC's
> real UART for talking to Bluetooth, or something, and substituted
> bit-banging in its place that has flaky timing depending on CPU-speed
> changes.  There the rumours I've heard, anyway, I'm out of touch with Pi
> stuff.

Hmmm.  I'm testing this with a Pi 3, but the target systems are all Pi Zeros.

> `disable' stops it starting on booting rather than stopping it now.
> `mask' blocks it from starting either manually, or as a dependency of
> something else that's starting.

That's what I thought.

> `systemctl | grep getty' will show the systemd units, etc., involved in
> your system.  And http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/serial-console.html
> suggests your simplest bet would be to alter the kernel's parameters so
> systemd doesn't want to start a getty.

That gave me:

pi@raspberrypi:~$ systemctl | grep getty
serial-getty@ttyS0.service    loaded active running   Serial Getty on ttyS0

system-serial\x2dgetty.slice  loaded active active system-serial\x2dgetty.slice

getty.target                   loaded active active    Login Prompts

I tried disabling 'serial-getty@ttyS0.service' but that didn't seem to work; if
I stop the
service, it is definitely gone, but a reboot brings it back. even after a
disable  I'm not sure
what getty.target is doing, but it doesn't appear to be a service anyway.

So still wondering.

  Next meeting: BEC, Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2019-04-02 20:00