After yesterday's discussion in the 'New BOINC project that does computing for
COVID-19' thread and last night's discussion online, I decided to pursue
Ralph's suggestion to use systemd to hibernate the machine.

I've started a new thread because this really has nothing to do with BOINC!

Anyway, I started off by searching for systemd hibernate and found this:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man8/systemd-suspend.service.8.html

Amongst other things this says:

'Note that systemd-suspend.service, systemd-hibernate.service, and systemd-
hybrid-sleep.service systemd-suspend-then-hibernate.service should never be
executed directly. Instead, trigger system sleep states with a command such as
"systemctl suspend" or similar.'

So I searched for 'systemctl hibernate' and found quite a few complaints about
this not working in Kubuntu and Ubuntu and it would seem to me, reading a
number of pages, that these distros are not set up for hibernation by default.

I haven't found an equivalent page  for Kubuntu 18.10 (which I'm running), but
this page for 18.04 sets out what needs to be done:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1031633/enable-hibernate-in-ubuntu-18-04-lts

I'm still debating whether or not I should try this or simply use Suspend (to
RAM).

BTW.  My laptop doesn't support Hibernate either, but I can recall doing on an
old one that I had some years ago.  (I've only run Kubuntu on my personal
machine since around 2002, so it used to do it once.)