Perhaps try Bleachbit?
P.
On 27/01/2021 14:37, C Wills wrote:
Sorry the original copy was sent from another email address which is not
authorised by DLUG system.  Sending from the correct address, hope you don't
get it twice!!
Clive

Hi All

Yesterday my wife started her PC and got a warning notice saying there was on
1GiB on space left on the 'root' partition.
Checking today the following was reported:-

sda1  Ext4 / size - 24.5GiB,  Used - 22.7GiB (93%)  Free - 1.71GiB (7%).

There is plenty of space for the /Home  partition but no space on sda1 and I
can't extend it.
I checked with the disk analyser tool and it showed that the 'var' file has
used most of the space; it's full of Flatpack folders. All the other folders
look OK.
I remember seeing a tool that can 'clean' folder/discs but can't find it now.
Thought it may be the temp folder fill up the space but that looks OK.
Can't work out what has happened to fill the 'root' folder, no extra software
installed and last time I looked it was only about 50% full.

If I don't do something soon then the PC will lock up And she will do her 'nut'
(doesn't like computers  that go wrong!)

What's happening please and can I recover the space.  All above by using a GUI
desktop, Mint 19.2 Cinnamon.