------- Forwarded Message

From: Alasdair G Kergon
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2021 03:51:55 +0000

I suppose this is a good time to mention FOSDEM which is happening this
weekend.

  https://fosdem.org/

Normally a large UK contingent travels to Brussels, but
this year it's all happening online.

Please spread the word and join in!

After a lot of debate we opted to use the matrix platform with
customisations that embed streams of videos and live moderated jitsi calls.
Each talk has 3 phases.
- A pre-recorded video, streamed widely.
- Moderated Q&A where a host asks the speaker questions based on what
  was submitted in the chat during the broadcast.  This is also streamed
  widely.
- Hallway discussion afterwards where attendees can join the speaker in
  a jitsi call (while the next talk begins in the live stream).

You can just watch the broadcasts from live.fosdem.org, or participate
in the text chat via freenode #fosdem-* or the video chat via matrix
chat.fosdem.org.  Or catch up on the videos afterwards.

Alasdair

------- End of Forwarded Message

   ‘"Belgium" is the rudest word in the universe, which is "completely
    banned in all parts of the Galaxy, except in one part, where they
    could not possibly know what it means."’
        ― The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy