On 20/02/2021 14:54, PeterMerchant wrote:
This morning all of a sudden my display magnified a lot and I could only see a
bit of it on my screen. I haev been trying to get it right and now I have
something about the right size, but with black bars across both bottom and top
of the screen, and as I move up and down the display I lose the edges of it
into the black.

I booted off a disk of the same OS, Kubuntu 20.04 and that said the display
should be 1680x 1050

I tried to set this, and xrandr now gives me:

peterm@peterm-MBB-34204H:~$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1680 x 1050, maximum 8192 x 8192
DVI-I-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VGA-0 connected primary 1680x945+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
474mm x 296mm panning 1680x1050+0+0
   1680x1050     59.88*+  59.95
   1440x900      74.98    59.89
   1280x1024     75.02    60.02
   1280x960      60.00
   1152x864      75.00
   1024x768      75.03    60.00
   800x600       75.00    60.32    56.25
   640x480       75.00    59.94
DVI-I-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
peterm@peterm-MBB-34204H:~$

but I still have the black bits. The Menu control for adjusting the screen
doesn't help, it just moves the display on the screen.

it is a Flatron L225WS  VGA screen.

I have tried setting it in the kubuntu settings and the N-Vidia settings, but
not got anywhere.

Any suggestions?

Peter

After much fooling around, deleted /etc/X11/xorg.conf  and screen is up to full
size again. Hooray, except that the print size is too small on the tabs on the
status line and in terminal.

Peter