Couldn't find anything in BIOS to disable  sound port, but was able to set BIOS
to defaults.
The sound works via sound card now, but not by Motherboard port.  It could be
faulty I suppose.
Then I discovered that Youtube videos played on Chrome were jittery in picture
and sound, but OK in Firefox/Youtube, so have removed and re-installed Chrome,
but problem remains. Chrome now gone and Vivaldi installed.  Bah, sound quality
still poor.

I guess that I'll stick with Firefox.
Peter