Hi,

I've been having a problem at Wimborne Model Town with a WiFi connection that
appears to go down periodically.  One possible solution is that the WiFi
Adaptor uses WMM Power.  This feature has been known to cause trouble with
devices that sit on a network with little or no traffic for many days.  The
solution suggested by the guys at the Raspberry Pi Forums is to set up a
script on the Pi with the problematic interface to ping something else on the
network, so I've used a simple ping command in a script started at boot-up:

<script>
#!/bin/bash

# ping the WiFi Antenna above the Shelter near the hedge to stop WMM Power
causing dropouts.
ping -i 900 -q 192.168.0.253
<end script>

I've tested this here at home (using an IP address on my network) and it
appears to work, but only because I get no errors when I start the script.

I then uploaded the script to the pi and started it manually; again no errors.
I then added a line to .bashrc to start the script and after a reboot; still
no errors.

So it should be working...  Still being an untrusting type, I'd like to be
able to monitor those pings somehow.  I've used Wireshark in the past, so I
installed it on my home machine, VPNd into the Pi at WMT and successfully
monitored ping responses when I explicitly pinged another machine on the
network.  However, my hopes to see a ping response with the WiFi Antenna from
my script were dashed when no traffic was captured.  I then tried to capture
traffic on another Pi that I know is always busy' still nothing.

Can anyone suggest how I can confirm that the pings are occurring every 15
minutes?