Hi Terry,

> If I run xinput --test-xi2 --root in a console, I get loads of output
> when Press the left or right mouse buttons, but nothing when I press
> the middle button.  However, I've read somewhere that middle click
> paste is an xorg built-in function and according to echo
> $XDG_SESSION_TYPE I am running x11.

The old-school way to test this is to run xev(1), probably found in
package x11-utils.  Just run it in a terminal window on your desktop.
A small window white window appears.  Events that window receives are
spewed to the terminal.  Move the mouse over it and try each of the
buttons in turn.  You should see a ButtonPress and a ButtonRelease
event.

It sounds like your middle button's flaky.  Consider giving it a clean
inside or whacking the mouse into the palm of your hand a couple of
times.

--
Cheers, Ralph.