If I may echo Ralph, don't do anything to the originals. If you decide to mark
up the image in any way make sure you do it on a copy.

For people who turn up regularly in photos another tedious option would be to
make a rogue's gallery of the usual suspects: have a folder of cropped images
of individuals (again from copies) each named appropriately, so whoever comes
after has a clear visual reference of who is who.

Alex