From: Patrick Steele [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Dienstag, 25. Juni 2002 17:05
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [DOTNET] ADO.NET Datasets

[NOTE: This list is closing 7/1/2002.  This question should probably go
to DOTNET-CLR].

Datasets are disconnected, in-memory representations of data.  The
advantage is that you *don't* hold a connection (an expensive resource)
while doing something with the data.  With a dataset, you

1) connect
2) get the data
3) disconnect

Your application then loops through the dataset to process the data.
This leads to better scalability since you use server resources for a
short amount of time.

As for your one-million row table -- No, it wouldn't be a good idea to
keep that in memory.  :)  But why would you want to?  Can your users
really navigate through a million rows and make meaningful updates?  I
think the better approach is to define how they will process a subset of
the data (through paging or filtering of the resultset).

---
Patrick Steele ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Lead Software Architect
Image Process Design