Eric wrote:
I installed dovecot from scratch and compiled it from 1.0.0 source.
Installed in /usr/local.
Now everytime I launch dovecot it creates and uses
/usr/local/var/lib/dovecot and /usr/local/var/run/dovecot directories. For
the latter I found the modifications to do in dovecot.conf for using
/var/run/dovecot instead, but for the former I see nothing about such
directory in dovecot.conf. What happens ? How can I configure it so that
dovecot uses /var/lib/dovecot instead ?
Default locations must be set before compilation using "./configure"
You need  to run "./configure --localstatedir=/var"
run "./configure --help" for all configure options

Actually thees are general make options, but i recommend to look at dovecot specific too. ...and. it is good idea too, to adjust other file locations (like --bindir, --libexecdir, etc) to match your system layout.
Thank you

Eric
Uldis