Bruce Bodger wrote:
Thank you very much, Charles. I have resorted to that workaround (restarting dovecot) which does, indeed, work. I just wanted to document the situation since dovecot's behavior in this regard is unlike other imap servers.

This thread mentioned only sending an HUP - or maybe even just a USR1 - signal - so, maybe restarting dovecot (which interrupts all processes) is not necessary?

Specifically:

With 1.0-tests you could instead send HUP signal which makes Dovecot
reopen the log files as well as re-reading the configuration files.
Hmm. Looks like Apache uses USR1 signal as well for just log reopening, I'll add that too.

--

Best regards,

Charles