On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 14:12 +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * Timo Sirainen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > What passdb are you using?
>
> auth default:
>   master_user_separator: *
>   verbose: yes
> passdb:
>   driver: passwd-file
>   args: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.masterusers
>   pass: yes
>   master: yes
> passdb:
>   driver: shadow
> passdb:
>   driver: pam

Do you really have different users in shadow and in pam?

> userdb:
>   driver: passwd
> userdb:
>   driver: passwd

There's no need to have this twice.

> > Dovecot supports aliases if you make the
> > passdb return "user=the-real-user" field.
> > http://wiki.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields
>
> Hmm, does this mean I add another dummy database containing:
>
> ralf.hildebrandt:user=rhilde
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:user=rhilde

Well, shadow and pam don't support extra fields, so I don't think you
can do anything about these unless you switch to another passdb.
Currently Dovecot doesn't support these kind of "pass through passdbs".

PAM however does support internally changing the username, so it would
be possible for you to create such a PAM module. But I can't help with
that.