I'd appreciate if you'd share with me the directory structure that you use, or would use in my situation. All mail storage will be on the server so disk space is not an issue. I'm a bit confused whether or not to keep the inbox separate from the other imap structure as is the OS X default: should all mailboxes be under inbox, etc.

i run an os x server, and keep it simply as a server, so there's no need to match the mail storage w/ the apple mail layout. since i only have a handful of users, i use $HOME/Maildir for each account, then let the client machines/apps do as they wish. if i had more users if would move it into /var and use a different authentication scheme. the only difference from a linux setup is that most things dovecot don't seem as well tested under os x since there are fewer of us.

-SM-