On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Gabriel Millerd wrote:

Making a perl script to insert 35k emails using dovecot deliver
doesn't impact my under resourced machines and I work with
spam/(false|ham|queue) system with mail::imapclient automation and the
script flies through thousands of messages on the hour without notice.

Did you then delete those 35K messages in one fell swoop? I wouldn't be surprised if XFS's performance were significantly different between these exaggerrated extremes:

repeat 35000 times: { create a file, delete a file }

and

create 35000 files, delete 35000 files

Best,
Ben