On Aug 7, 2008, at 2:49 PM, Stephen Feyrer wrote:

Hi anyone.

Can dovecot be configured to authenticate user using only SSL Certificates only and not ask for a password.

So far I've got it taking the username from the common name of the certificate but I like it to use the certificate in place of the password.

Is this possible and how?

If you're that far, then you're already authenticating the user against the certificate. Or assuming you have ssl_require_client_cert=yes. Then just create a passdb that accepts any password as valid for the user (nopassword=yes extra field).

In theory there's also this EXTERNAL SASL mechanism that could be used to log in without user/pass, but Dovecot doesn't currrently support that and I'm not aware of any clients supporting it either.