Timo Sirainen wrote:
Where do you think the following binaries should be installed to? The
possible locations are:

 - bin/
 - sbin/

Should these not be /usr/bin and /usr/sbin ?

I believe that /bin and /sbin are for system essentials and /usr/bin for package installed binaries?

 - libexec/dovecot/ (or lib/dovecot/ in most Linux distros)

I haven't read the FHS on these, but empirically this seems to be used only for internal system binaries, ie not executed by the user. On my systems /lib/whatever isn't pathed and so you couldn't run them from a command line

I agree that it could be helpful to have a multi-talented admin utility. Additionally don't overlook being able to symlink the binary to some other name and have it execute as this function by name, ie "multicall" a la busybox, etc

Cheers

Ed W