Delivery doesn't seem to be the issue.  The issue appears to be reading the
mail later on.

Here is my master.cf line for dovecot:
dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
    flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver -d
${recipient}

and as you can see, the files in the delivery location have the correct
permissions for being delivered by user "vmail":
# ls -la
total 64
drwx------ 5 vmail vmail 4096 Dec 23 12:11 .
drwx------ 3 vmail vmail 4096 Dec 21 17:41 ..
drwx------ 2 vmail vmail 4096 Dec 21 17:41 cur
-rw------- 1 vmail vmail  224 Dec 22 00:01 dovecot.index
-rw------- 1 vmail vmail  572 Dec 23 11:51 dovecot.index.log
-rw------- 1 vmail vmail  472 Dec 23 11:51 dovecot-uidlist
drwx------ 2 vmail vmail 4096 Dec 23 11:51 new
drwx------ 2 vmail vmail 4096 Dec 23 11:51 tmp

The errors appear when I login via IMAP and try to read the messages.

-Geoff