Quoting Steve <steeeeev...@gmx.net>:

> My interest is more in bootstrapping a more highly available system
> from lower quality (commodity) components than very high end use

GFS+DRBD should fit the bill...  You need several nics and cables,
but they are dirt cheap...  Just 2 machines with the same disk setup,
and a handful of nics and cables, and you are off and running...

Can you easy scale that GFS2+DRBD to have more then just 2 nodes? Is

Not really, no.  You can have those two nodes distribute it out via
gnbd though...  Red Hat claims it scales well, but I've not yet tested
it...

Can all the
nodes at the same time be active or is one node always the master and the other a hot spare that kicks in when the master is down?

The free version of DRBD only supports max 2 nodes.  They can be active-active
or active-passive.

The non-free version is supposed to support 3 nodes, but I've heard conflicting
reports on what the 3rd node can do...  You'd have to investigate that
yourself...  I'm not interested in it, since I don't want to pay for it...
(Though I am willing to donate to the project)

My proposed solution to the more-than-two-nodes is gnbd...

If that doesn't meet your needs, then DRBD probably isn't the proper choice.
You didn't mention anything about number of nodes in your original post, IIRC.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!