Thanks for the suggestions.

The user, group, and permissions on all folders (including the cur, new, and tmp) are "aj aj 700".
Also, I added "mail_location = maildir:~/.maildir" (and removed "default_mail_env").
Neither has worked.

Also, my IMAP folders all work fine except for the new ones I want to create
manually from the CLI.