Daniel L. Miller schrieb:
Reviewing some mailing list archives and the wiki, I still don't have a
real clear picture of why I'd want to use mdbox. What I've taken from
the info I've reviewed says mdbox is more complicated (than sdbox), has
greater potential for breakage (simply because it's more complex), and
has a theoretical performance impact depending on the exact
filesystem/hardware used.

More complicated for who? ;)

mdbox's index file can break as well as the index file used with
maildir. However, Dovecot can and will fix it automatically.

I can´t imagine a possible performance impact because mdbox doesn´t
need as much files as maildir. Searching through all your mails and
backup procedures should be faster than with maildir.

Why don´t you setup a testsystem, copy some maildirs from your
production system, convert them to mdbox and play around?

Patrick