Only thing that comes to my mind is to use shorter uidl's to id each
email, not sure what method your using now.

I would seriously consider just changing it to use imap instead, then
you can be notified if there is a new email, instead of downloading
the list each time.

Quoting Matt <lm7...@gmail.com>:

Doubt if there is any answer to this but will ask anyway.  Have a few
pop3 accounts with thousands of messages.  Its slow when checking
email naturally.  Are there any tweaks to speed it up?  I imagine
there is an exchange of the message and header list which is the slow
down.  Too bad the list could not be compressed with gzip or something
first.  I think http has an option similar to that.

Just asking.

I am running Maildir format on CentOS 5.x 64bit with Ext3 on raid1.
Often wander if Ext4 would have been better.